The proposed partnership will impact broader society through:
- International collaboration to improve scientific understanding of the future of the Amazon, including the role of Amazon forests in global biogeochemical cycling and climate change.
- Education of undergraduate and graduate students that integrates a rigorous interdisciplinary curriculum with experience-based international field work that will foster intensive international collaborations between U.S. and Brazilian research groups.
- Hands-on projects in an Amazon forest that will sustainably advance education of both Brazilian and U.S. students, including those from underrepresented groups, in international contexts.
- Intensive collaboration between U.S. and Brazilian partners, leveraging significant added value from Brazilian support of Brazilian partners, and from extensive infrastructure and sophisticated field instrumentation, a result of past NASA and Brazilian support.
- Foundations for a sustainable international collaboration that will foster a new generation of culturally experienced scientific leaders prepared to address global environmental problems.
- Recruitment and training of underrepresented groups including minorities and women.